Yoshkar-Ola – Йошкар-Ола 1969

Yoshkar-Ola means red city in Mari. The current name is the third to have been given to the city. The city was known as Tsaryovokokshaysk (Царёвококшайск) before 1919 and as Krasnokokshaysk (Краснококшайск) between 1919 and 1927. These names were derived from the name of the Malaya Kokshaga River, which runs through the city. The city’s old Mari name was Charla (Чарла).
Yoshkar-Ola was established as a military fortress in 1584, following the Russian conquest of the Mari region.
During the Soviet era, especially after World War II, the city was a regional industrial and transport center and grew to its current size. The collapse of the Soviet Union removed support for state enterprises, and led to the shutdown of most manufacturing activity in the area. Much of the city’s economic activity was supported by shuttle traders who would transport (often counterfeit) goods from the bustling markets of Moscow to Yoshkar-Ola’s bazaars. The sharp decline in living standards led to the emigration of specialized professionals to larger cities in Russia.


Йошка́р-Ола́ (луговомар. Йошкар — «красный», Ола — «город» — «Красный Город», устар. Чарла, Цар-ола) — город в России, столица Республики Марий Эл. Население (на 1 января 2013 года) — 257 015 человек. Основан в 1584 году как военное укрепление царем Фёдором Иоанновичем в центре Волго-Вятского региона, на берегу реки Малая Кокшага (левый приток Волги). До 1919 город назывался Царевококшайск, в период с 1919 по 1927 — Краснококшайск. В 1984 году город был награждён орденом Трудового Красного Знамени.

Современная Йошкар-Ола — крупный многоотраслевой промышленный, культурный и научный центр республики, является одним из центров культуры финно-угорских народов.